Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Watching Movies

Over the long New Year's weekend, I caught a couple of movies. I know, I know, holidays equals many people. We went to catch the movies at MBO in Galaxy, Taman Dagang.


The first movie we saw was Did You Hear About The Morgans?, featuring a very type-casted Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker.




I did not really wanna watch this movie. Mostly because of Sarah Jessica Parker. I liked her before Sex & The City. She was in Hocus Pocus, one of my fave movies... :)



I have not seen Sex & The City. But I have this aversion for all the S&TC girls... I dunno why... I just don't get them... Kristin Davis was in Will & Grace and Friends but I don't get her. She was in Couples Retreat and I did not get her... sigh...


Anyway, I am glad I decided to go and watch The Morgans coz it's quite a good movie. Fish out of water stuff but not like the rest. The witty banter is enjoyable. I think it's due to the chemistry between SJP and Hugh and of course the script. The Sarah Palin joke had me laughing out loud.

SJP and Hugh Grant got ample support from Mary Steenburgen and Sam Elliott as the deputies in charge of putting up with them...



Next, and when I say next, I mean, the same night... we saw The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus or as I like to call it, Parnasium...

As most of you would know, this is the late Heath Ledger's final movie. This fact alone was reason enough to go catch the movie.


The first time we saw him in the movie, he was hanging by neck on a noose. Chills...


Terry Gilliam, who made 12 Monkeys, is the director. The movie also stars Christopher Plummer and Verne Troyer.

Again, as you may have known, Heath passed away before he could complete the movie so the movie had to be tweaked and his role was finished by Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell.

The movie itself is a bit trippy and weird but not in a bad way... in its own way, it's a movie about the eternal battle of good and evil...




After the weekend, I was at Times Square and had some time so I decided to watch Cirque De Freak (in English meaning Circus of Freaks, I think). This is the third movie in a row I've watched that I haven't at least read up on. Going in blindly worked quite well for The Morgans and Parnasium.


It worked well for this movie as well. I really enjoyed this movie. I hope there would be a part two in the works.


Cirque De Freak is about Darren Shan, a boy who volunteered to be a vampire to save his best friend.


CDF has plenty of star power and awards calibre actors, except for the lead, he's not really been in that many movies.

For example, we have Oscar nominees John C Reilly (Chicago), Salma Hayek (Frida), Ken Watanabe (The Last Samurai) and Willem Dafoe (Shadow of the Vampire)... then Emmy nominee, Jane Krakowski (30 Rock) and finally, Josh Hutcherson, who is all grown up now and was in Journey to the Center of the Earth and Zathura.

Movie-wise, it's a cross between drama and comedy, with some action and supernatural stuff thrown about. Quite nice.

All in all, this was a good way to start out the movie-watching year... :)

0 comments: