Friday, December 10, 2010

Review - My Soul To Take


Wes Craven is definitely the king of horror. Wait, maybe it's Stephen King... but anyway, I kinda did not know this was Wes Craven's work.

I first saw the trailer on Trailer Addict and was instantly captivated by it. So I was looking forward to catching it when it comes out. Yes, yes, I am a horror/slasher movie junkie. One of my favorite movies is Scream (which is incidentally Wes Craven's handiwork as well).

And just like Scream, this movie started out with an intense scene, very bloody and kinda scary.
My Soul To Keep, the phrase, is a part of a classic children's prayer... also because the movie is all about souls... :)
The movie tells of a person with many souls in them... like multiple personalities... and that once the person dies, the souls linger on... the night the Riverton Ripper was finally killed, seven babies were born... and in each of them, the parts of the souls of the murderer lies in wait...
But only one of them got the evil soul... every year, on their birthday, the Riverton Seven does a ritual in which they defeat the 'Ripper' so that the Ripper would not be able to come after them in real life...
This year, they were interrupted... and the Ripper appears and offed them one by one until he gets to the one he wants... his own son...
The plot sounds great to me... hehehe... and so was the execution... unfortunately, the killings were a bit sudden and abrupt... like there was no milking of the tension and suspense of a cat-and-mouse scene between the slasher and the victim...
For example, one girl's throat was slashed immediately upon encountering the evil guy... not even allowed a scream or running away...
But I think all these quickie murders are setting up for the final showdown, which was quite a long one... So guess it works... :)
Acting-wise, everybody was not too bad considering they're a bunch of unknowns... except for the mother, who was Susan (Ross' ex, Carol's life partner) on FRIENDS.
All in all, it was a nice outing for me... I enjoyed the movie very much... being the horror/slasher junkie that I am...
Have a good weekend guys! Tonite is Hantu Mak Limah Balik Rumah at Midvalley...

0 comments: