Friday, April 16, 2010

Nightmare

I woke up with a start.

Immediately, I grabbed the torchlight I kept next to my bed and hefted it as though it was a weapon. I looked around and scanned the room. The only other person in that room was my roommate Lee and he was sound asleep. In fact, he was snoring lightly.

I envied him.

I tried getting back to sleep but it was no use. There was no way I could fall back to sleep now. It was 4 in the morning. I sighed out loud. This was the fourth time in a row that I had the nightmares.

Getting up, I wiped his forehead with the back of his hand. I then realized that he was drenched in sweat and that my T-shirt was soaked through. I took off his tee and chucked it in the hamper. I grabbed my towel and went outside to the toilet.

I opened the door to the toilet. It was pitch black inside. Still reeling from the shock of the nightmare, I hesitated getting in immediately. I felt my way along the inside wall to find the light switch. As soon as I found it, I flipped it and the lights came on.

I glanced inside the cold toilet, and then I glanced around in the hallway. Satisfied that there was no one around, I went inside one of the cubicles and did my business. When I was done, I flushed and went out to wash my hands. All of a sudden, the toilet door slammed shu.

I jumped out of my skin. My heart was pounding so hard, it could break my chest.

Cursing under my breath, I splashed cold water on my face and started to leave. Just as I was about to reach the door, I heard noises coming from one of the cubicles.

A sense of dread filled my soul.

I had not heard anybody coming in. Every fiber of my being screamed for me to run for the safety of my room but curiosity got the better of me. I tentatively glanced over my shoulder, slowly turning my body around.

I got on my hands and knees and looked under the cubicle doors for signs of other people in there. However, all I could see were the floors and the toilet bowls. Still not satisfied, I got up and pushed open the door to the first cubicle. It swung open.

Empty.

I repeated the process until I was down to the last two cubicles. I pressed the door to the one nearest to me. It was locked. I could hear some sort of noise coming from within.

A sudden charge filled me. I would not cower away. I kicked the door in and it almost flew off of its hinges. However, that cubicle was totally empty. I opened the door to the last cubicle and it was also empty.

Laughing at my own paranoia and silliness, I shut the cubicle door and turned around. I went to the faucets to wash my face again. The cold water felt good against my skin. I wiped my face and thought about going for some sort of sleep therapy or something.

As soon as I was done wiping his face, I saw it in the mirror. A vampire from my nightmare was right behind him. I gasped slightly and turned to face the vampire. However, there was no vampire to be seen.

I freaked and ran out as fast as I could. However, just before I reached the door, I saw the vampire in the mirror again.

“Leaving so soon?”

My feet halted and turned into lead. I could not move an inch.

“But we’ve barely gotten to know one another…”

I turned around slowly. In my peripheral vision, I could make out the shape of a person standing at the other end of the room. My heart was beating a mile a minute and adrenaline was pumping in my veins. Sweat tricked down from my forehead.

I had never been scared in all my life, yet I found the situation a bit exciting. I had never realized that I was such a daredevil. As soon as I had turned around completely, I braced myself for an attack. However, none came.

I was all alone in the cold room. I looked around. Sighing, I realized that the lack of sleep must be getting to me. Just before I was about to head back out the door, a hand grabbed my shoulder from behind.

I woke up screaming. It was a nightmare. Thank God.



So, now that there's a new Nightmare on Elm Street movie coming, those nightmares would seem tame now wouldn't it? :P

0 comments: